Saturday 24 March 2007

Tax tax tax

I'm just listening to Radio 4 at the minute - big discussion on the budget and the tax thing. Ah, yes - the tax thing. As someone who earns a pittance as an hourly paid lecturer I'm just rolling over in glee at the fact that I'm going to LOSE out, but if I were earning, say, £30K, I'd be much, much better off. Fan-bloody-tastic! And yes, I know it's all very complex, and some will gain, and some will lose, but no matter how you look at it, it's back to the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

And there were such high hopes for Labour. What have we got now? Nurses are going to work in Australia because conditions are better, prospects are better, and the life-style is better. The NHS is on its arse. Small businesses are disappearing faster than you can say Budget. By the time our kids get through the education system, they have 25 billion A* but still don't know what a verb is, can't punctuate to save their lives, and get out done in mental maths by pensioners with Alzheimer's.

So brilliant, Labour. Well done. Hope you're pleased with yourselves.

Of course all this does is strengthen my resolve to emigrate again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Depressing stuff isn't.......turn all your angst into writing if you have a streesy bit to write and see what happens. it won't change the government but it might shake up a chapter :-)

hesitant scribe said...

Well - what did we expect? For the country to be run efficiently with all its citizens taken care of?! I don't mind being poor - I've been far poorer than I am now - but at least I lived somewhere hot with a beach!

Er.. yes.. shall feed it into the writing - either that or escape into the story. After I do this pile of marking...