Tuesday 18 December 2007

Trying to get a piece of the Gremlin

I don't know where to start with this post...

I had a needle biopsy. Hmm.

Good news: Didn't have to drink any dye and no intravenous - Hurrah!

Bad news: They had to cut a hole in my shoulder with a scalpel...

Good news: Local anaesthetics are amazing these days. Didn't feel a thing!

Bad news: They couldn't freeze anywhere below the skin, and they had to stick a finebiopsy needle right into my lung.

More bad news: Right through all the nerves that are causing all this pain just by being next to a 3cm tumour - Yeouch! If I hadn't had to hold my breath JJ would have heard the scream in Bangkok, but luckily it was contained inside my head.

Even worse: So there I was lying face down, clutching my knees with what felt like a giant arrow sticking right through me, holding my breath for the doctor while everyone left the room to scan me again.

"Where did you go?" I said in my head. It was a very tiny voice I noted, like Kate Winslet at the end of Titanic. "Oh God. Please come back!" I was trying to do all those relaxation things - and I found I could relax everything but my upper body. My little ole heart was totally freaked out and tried to run away all by itself.

And then they came back and some beautiful person held my hand, and there was a bang (I knew this was coming) and the needle grabbed a chunk of something... and they checked it... and then out came the needle. (lots of 'ands' - poor writing - take note!)

All over - Phew!

Good news: My lung did not collapse, and I didn't even cough any blood up. A chest X-ray an hour later showed it was all ok - no leaks - and I went home to be watched carefully for 24 hours. I've never sat so quietly in my life!

Nige had to go to work afterwards, so huge Thank Yous to Fay, who came and did the first shift, followed by Nic (my own paramedic on hand - I am sooo spoiled!), and then Anita. They helped me stay calm and bright, and soon I was off my cake on Co-drydamol and Neurofen, so it was okay apart from the breakthroughs between doses. Oh, and my mother who has been cooking for us all every night! Christ - everyone really.

But today I've been great. It hurts but not enough to need pain-killers, and have even managed to blog! No idea if it makes an ounce of sense mind you...

*I do hope they got a piece of the little gremlin cos I really don't want another one of those biopsy jobbies!*

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done Lisa for being so brave. What happens next?

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I hope so too. Will be checking in regularly to find out... and well done for being so brave! I think they should at least have given you a sticker and a sweetie!!!

Rowan Coleman said...

Hi Lisa, god you are a tough lady you go all throuhg that and then write a really compelling blog about it. Will keeping checking in with you keep us all posted, I know we are all sending you the good vibes. Rx

CL Taylor said...

Oh my god I don't think I've ever read anything more terrifying. You've probably been told this loads but you're so BRAVE. I really hope they've grabbed a big fat piece of gremlin so you don't have to go through that again. It's good to know so many people are taking care of you x

Anonymous said...

Very well done - now for the results?

Jenny Beattie said...

Hey, honey, you are one brave woman. I'm glad to repeat that I didn't hear any swearing here in Thailand either, which means you don't need to wash your mouth out with soap for saying bad stuff at high volume (low volume is fine: swear like a sailor all you like!)
Love JJx

hesitant scribe said...

Ooh - what next indeed! I suppose we wait for the results now...

But then again, Christmas is nearly here so it would be good to get that out of the way before they stick anything else into me!

zinnia - yeah... where's my sticker?!

rowan - dunno about brave though thank you! I think there's no choice about it all but blogging seems to help - plus it may help anyone else who is going through this?

ctaylor - fingers and toes crossed they got a piece. Oh christ - I don't even want to think about it if they didn't.

jj - I have sworn a bit, but must admit that words failed me when the needle went in, ha ha!

Today not too bad... pain has subsided a fair bit and managing with a wheat pack, copious amounts of tea, and the movie channels!

ctaylor -

Lane Mathias said...

Jeez you're brave.
Hope the results come back soon and so glad to hear you're being well looked after.

Still sending good vibes:-)
xxx

Kate.Kingsley said...

Oh lordy! What a procedure! If that was me, JJ would have heard my screams in Bangkok, thats for sure.

Fingers crossed that they got everythign they need, and that you NEVER have to have anther one of those.

Jen said...

Oh, it sounds awful. You are truly inspirational - your writing about it will help so many other people you know.

We're all holding our breath, waiting to hear the results.

Take it easy X

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

You've been very, very brave and I am in awe.

I have very positive feelings about this but for now, you need to rest a lot and write a little.