Monday 23 July 2007

The Short Story Conference...

... went very well.

I managed to deliver my first conference paper without making a total eejit of myself.

I read clearly and it fit snugly into the 20 minutes allotted meaning the umpteen rehearsals were worth it.

I got to catch up with James Friel who came to do a workshop when I was an undergraduate (which I enjoyed immensely), and Jenny Newman who writes a wonderful series on novel writing in Mslexia and is always most pleasant and lovely to catch up with. It was a busy day with lots of wonderful speakers, not least Sarah Salway who read out a wonderfully funny and poignant story at the end of the conference. Also reading at the end were Alan Wall and David Evans, oh... and Nicholas Royle too!

So it was a lovely blend of the academic and the artistic, of theory and of practice, not to mention lunch and lots of tea breaks.

The full programme can be found here. I can't wait until the next one, and have been bitten by the 'giving a paper' bug too! Hmmm. Looking out for calls for papers methinks!

3 comments:

Jon M said...

You'll have to get a paper round then! :-) Well done! Glad the presentation went well. Mine always overrun!

hesitant scribe said...

cheers Jon - it was good to get the first one out of the way really. Popped over to Sarah's blog and she's done a very academic write up - unlike me! Oh Well! I'm too tired to even think about it!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Have tried to email you but it's been 'delayed' - this happened last time I tried to email you, too; not sure what's going on. Am hoping it'll get delivered in due course, if it doesn't I'll resend.